After church yesterday we hurried back to the campground with great anticipation on seeing our friends, Lonnie and Jo. We met them on our way up to Alaska while we were going through Canada. It seems like everyday we would pass each other on the road. There was a few times that we actually stayed at the same campground. On one of our quick passings we invited them to stop in and visit with us if they were ever up this way. It was a great surprise when they called and said they were coming. We were excited to finally be able to hang out with them.
When they got to the campground we all decided to take a drive over to Skilak Lake Road where maybe we could see a bear and walk a small trail. Well it all started when we stopped at Engineer Lake, aka, the lake of a million mosquitos. We decided to walk the small trail which is only two miles round trip. A very small trail to our standards, so we never thought anything about the mosquitos, heck we've been out in the middle of the woods, we've bushwhacked and climbed steep mountains, the mosquitos were very annoying and would get a good bite in every once in a while but nothing to be feared, until this day!
The first thing you should do before getting out of your car in Alaska is to spray yourself with mosquito repellent. Not that it works all that great because I would say 98% of the mosquitos are immune to it, but it might work on the other 2%. With 2% coverage this could save you an irritating bite on some small part of your body. On this day there was 0% coverage because I forgot to spray!
While walking the trail we were all being attacked by mosquitos, the women more than the men, again it must be an anatomy thing. Anyway, most of the time when I tried to swat the blood-thirsty suckers, I would miss them and they would quickly scurry through the air in a frantic jittery dance to safety. But this one mosquito did not fly off! He came at me boldly! It was the strangest thing. It kept coming at me, not like most mosquitoes that seem to flit about with an I’ll-get-around-to-biting-you-soon-enough attitude. No, this little bug charged straight at me in a Kamikaze dive-bomb. And as I swatted and slapped at the thing, it just kept driving in hard and fast, zooming right up the middle, faking left, darting right, maneuvering with the talent of a fighter pilot. I frantically swatted at it but it just kept coming! Diving to my legs, then up to my chest, then my ear, to my neck, I know it was just trying to wear me down. It wouldn’t stop, over and over and over again until finally it made contact! Not only did it make contact but it made contact again and again. By the time I made it back to the car, my eye was starting to swell and I had numerous welts on my face. By the time I got home I looked like I was in a fight with Mike Tyson! It was quite apparent who won this match! I'm totally humiliated that a mosquito beat me up like this! I can not believe how committed this thing was! But in all fairness and just so you know, this was a VERY BIG mosquito and I'm sure that I was blindsided by a few of his friends!
The good thing is that we finally got to see a bear! A mama and her two cubs. My vision was a little impaired by the swelling but I did manage to get a photo!